Saturday, June 12, 2010

California Dreaming

Where does one begin in thinking about running a marathon? Dreaming “Ah… Boston or NY or London, or Antarctica Marathon (yes, there is such a thing!);  if only I dedicate myself and train hard I can complete (as opposed to compete) a marathon in one of these locations”. There are hundreds of marathons run each year. Many are in the USA. San Jose even has one that runs through downtown; the San Jose Rock ‘n Roll Marathon. Some runners who live in Silicon Valley travel to other cities to run races. And folk in those cities travel to San Jose. Go figure. As for me, let me run where it is scenic and beautiful and has a great place to go to for brunch after the race!
For Amy and me, the road to running a marathon started several years ago by our just running out the front door in hopes of becoming a bit more physically fit. Amy started running in college and invited me (or maybe I invited myself) to join her on some early morning runs. After approximately a year of starts and stops, minor injuries, self-questioning about the sanity of it all, we signed up to run a 10K (6.2 miles) race called Together With Love, located in Pacific Grove, CA. Starting at Lover’s Point, the run took us south, down the coast to Asilomar State Beach and back. Beautiful and fun to run and we felt accomplished. Slow, maybe, but accomplished. Since then we’ve run several 10K’s and several half-marathons (13.1 miles).

Several years later, we are running weekly, sometime together, and more often than not apart due to busy schedules. Now the dream kicks in and Amy mentions the idea of running a marathon.  We went looking and chose Sacramento’s Calif. Intl. Marathon. After choosing the race, I felt prompted to make it a fund raiser. Please consider joining me in support of the Ishimwe Center. Get details from the Fund Raising link on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment