Tuesday, July 6, 2010

MP3’s: Inspiration, or audio blinders…

Step with me again into the way-back machine, this time to 1987, when I ran the Humboldt Marathon. Nobody, nope none, zero, zippo, zilch, nadda… no one listened to music while running. The audio world (back in the old days) was transitioning from cassettes to CD’s. The technology just didn’t support the bouncing & jarring that accompanies running. Without wanting to sound sanctimonious, people ran for the joy and challenge of it. One enjoyed the surroundings, spent time in thought, prayed, and even talked with others as you ran (imagine that??).  It’s not until 1997 that the first MP3 player came on the market. And then, in 2001, a quantum leap in marketing / technology happened, the first Apple iPod was announced. The rest, as they say, is history.

I happen to feel that the introduction of MP3 players has played a big part in the growth of the sport. Tunes can encourage, help pick you up, carry you through tough runs; tunes can distract you from aches and pains; tunes can inspire to greater performance.  Especially when you can put a playlist together of music you want to listen to.

On the down side, listening to tunes can be a distraction that can put a runner in physical jeopardy. MP3 players can be akin to audio blinders to the world around us, blocking our ‘vision’ of the beauty and world of which God has blessed our path. You may not hear a car or bicycle approaching or turning into your path, or hear directions or warning from someone (e.g. friend, race official, alien space ship landing, etc.). Some races forbid the use of MP3 players for this reason. Many races list USA Track & Field Rule 144.3 as forbidding the use of such if you are competing for prize money, but ‘allows’ the use of MP3 players for the rest of us.

I like running both with and without my Nano. As a rule of thumb, if it’s a trail or early morning run, I don’t play tunes. As a run progresses, I will play tunes to help carry my through. For the marathon, I will follow this same rule. Early on, no music, but later when I need that lift, I’ll be listening. And I’ll make sure to have a full charge on the battery before the gun goes off.

Here’s a sample of running tunes that help me run:

Dive, Steven Curtis Chapman
I Am Free, News Boys
The Power of Love, Hewie Lewis
Run, Hillsong Live
We Didn’t Start the Fire, Billy Joel
Get Down, Audio Adrenaline
Flood, Jars of Clay
Big House, Audio Adrenaline
Jesus Freak, DC Talk
Independence Day, Martina McBride
Pressing On, Reliant K
You Lift Me Up, Rachael Lampa
Jesus Is Just Alright, DC Talk
Running On Empty, Jackson Brown
Kingdom Come, Hillsong
Here is Our King, David Crowder Band
Son of Man, Phil Collins
I Run To You, Lady Antebellum

No comments:

Post a Comment