Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Delta Running

The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. - Proverbs 18:10


Rio Vista Bridge
This past weekend, Janet and I enjoyed an overnight in the Delta with special friends at a cottage on the water. It was an enjoyable trip down memory lane remembering sailing times past with my Mom, Dad, and family time on both our sail boats Misty Eagle and Parallax. To get to the island we were staying on we drove up 680 then over to Pittsburg and Antioch crossing the San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers on increasingly narrower roads. After reaching Rio Vista we turned off the highway and drove our car on road topping levees (Ok, sing with me now… “So… Bye, bye miss American Pie, Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry…”). We then took a ferry across a waterway and drove three more miles on top of a levee (keep singing… “And good ol' boys were drinking whisky and rye? Singing this will be the day that I die. This will be the day that I die.”). Just to get away from San Jose, and go to a wonderful retreat setting was amazingly relaxing. We enjoyed a lovely candle lit dinner, Martha Stewart style, al fresco, watching the orange moon rise over the far bank of the river, topped by a feeding frenzy over a delicious coconut cake (double dipping allowed!). Lots of laughter!!

Up at 7am, Sunday morning dawned cool and beautiful. Just right for a run on the levee road (OK… stop with the singing already!). I was out the door in no time, leaving everyone asleep. Here was one of those Rave Runs. The sun had yet to rise, the clouds were the colors of brilliant pinks and oranges. I ran out the gravel road and up to the levee road and ran down the three miles to the Ryer Island ferry crossing (named “The Real McCoy Ferry” I kid you not!). Running without iPod was perfectly wonderful. I heard birds in trees, and others flying down to feed on bugs near the river, fish jumping to catch their own breakfasts, roosters crowing as I passed farm houses standing next to groves of pears and peaches as well as acres of vineyards; only one fisherman’s boat quietly passed by on the water. The air was as fresh as you’d ever imagine, with scents of river, and farm orchards occasionally wafting by. As I ran, the Sun finally peaked over the Sierra flooding the Valley with light and coming warmth. At the ferry, I stopped just to take it all in and walked near the water. Several worship songs came to mind as I walked. Times like that are as precious a worship time as any spent in a church sanctuary. Then I was ready to kick up my heals and run back to the cottage and our friends, ending my run in a happy contented sweat. So what if the run was a little slow, and so what if I missed my long run for the week.

Take the time to get away. Take time to re-charge your batteries. Take time to spend time with your spouse and loved ones. Take time to read God’s Word. It’s worth every second, and I’m praising God for those precious moments! – John

I am grateful for my NEW JOB!
I am grateful for my old job at So-Lite!
I am grateful for beautiful sunsets
I am grateful for sharing dinner w/ friends
I am grateful to serve an awesome God!

No comments:

Post a Comment