Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Secret

“I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.” - Psalm 119:32

"What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know… The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with sports drinks, eating well, sleeping more, running blogs, iPod tunes, hip techno clothing and cool mental tricks as with that most un-profound and sometimes heartrending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of their training shoes."

I was reading about marathon training one day last week and came upon the above anonymous quote. It hit me as summarizing the way much of today’s culture and generational attitudes are. We’re looking for the quick fix, the next thing to buy or to have or do to make us appear that we have the secret to life. If we drive the right car, wear the right clothing, work the right job, buy the right house, etc. we’ll make it to the finish line of life ahead of most everyone. We all (including me) fall prey to this mentality at times. The worldly attitude even carries over into our exercising, or even marathon running. Is there a short-cut to get me across the finish line? Nope. Sometimes I think that I need that amazing GPS tracking / heart monitoring watch or the technical, sweat wicking, ultra cool, wind and water resistant, reflective striped, eye catching color, ultra form flattering, stand out in a crowd, looking like a winner, piece of running clothes.  But do I? …just to run in a race?

Real life doesn’t really work that way. There are no short cuts; just a marvelous journey for those who know Jesus as Savior and Lord. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with any of the things individually above, as long as our attitude is focused rightly; as long as we don’t fixate on things as giving us lasting satisfaction. Things can become the idols of our times, taking our eyes off of the true secret to peace, contentment and satisfaction: Jesus. We forget that these earthly blessings flow from an almighty sovereign God. Sometimes, we feel “But I deserve this, or I deserve that.” Thankfully we don’t get what we deserve, with the exception of God’s grace and His outstretched arms of love in our lives. Prosperity is something God wants to bless us with, but it flows from Him, and not of ourselves. In both good times and bad, out of obedient hearts we should give praise where it’s due. Christ wants that prosperity, peace, success and contentedness for each of us and scripture is full of that coming to those who praise and follow Him. I’m reminded in Galatians 5 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” That’s the true ‘secret’ to be shared with the entire world, and, is most certainly what I need. – Johnny B

I am grateful for a loving Savior
I am grateful for ocean breezes
I am grateful for my Mom
I am grateful to be alive
I am grateful for tuxedo kitties

No comments:

Post a Comment